If you’re like 45 million other Americans, you’ve tried dieting this year. However, there is consensus among health professionals and researchers that dieting is not sustainable. In today’s episode, we highlight the evidence supporting why diets don’t work.
We mention a few resources in the episode, which we’ve linked below:
- Biggest Loser Study in NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html
- Persistent Metabolic Adaptation 6 Years After “The Biggest Loser” Competition: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/oby.21538/full
- Health at Every Size: https://haescommunity.com/
- Ellyn Satter: Your Child’s Weight: Helping Without Harming https://www.ellynsatterinstitute.org/shop/shop/your-child-s-weight.html
- The Dieting Cycle: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0030/154983/wtmgt_dietingcycle.pdf
- How to respond to the food police during the holidays (Intuitive Eaters Holiday Bill of Rights): http://www.intuitiveeating.org/intuitive-eaters-holiday-bill-of-rights/